The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Guides Forum > General Guides

Notices

Old 21-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Guido
Forza Fortuna!

Guido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to allGuido is a name known to all

Awards Showcase
Beste CM/FM’ert 
Total Awards: 1

Default Defending a lead

If you are going to defend a lead rather than push for more goals, do it and do it proper. Its no good sliding the bar back five notches from "Attack" to Defence" or even making a few substitutions here and there. If you want to defend, you have to park your team behind the ball, the same way the AI does when it decides to defend.
This is the way to defend and kill off a game:

1. Slide the bar all the way back to Ultra Defensive. Anything less and your not defending as much as you could. Half-hearted defending is not good defending. Either defend properly or don't defend at all.

2. Pull the game tempo bar all the way back to slow as far as possible, and pull time wasting all the way to full. Combined with short passing this will starve your opponent of possession - ie. "defend with the ball, not without the ball", is the best way to defend. But this philosophy does not translate to "attack is the best form of defence". That is rubbish.

3. Make formational changes. Never try to kill off a game with a 4-4-2. That is an inherently attacking formation. Take off a striker and put in a defensive midfielder or an extra centre-half. Remember to reset the player instructions for the substitute so they are not running with the ball or making forward runs from centre-half. Defending only really works with a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. I also find that "hold up ball", closing down and a back arrow for the lone striker brings them into the defence more.

4. Adjust the defensive line and width. Both are extremely important if you want to shut out the opposition. Spend a few mins watching the game in real time and tweak both settings accordingly.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY: TURN FORWARD RUNS OFF. Forward runs by your players give the opposition the chance to break into space. I turn every player's forward runs totally off when defending a lead. This is what the AI does when it parks the proverbial bus in front of the goal. Its no good having all of your settings geared for defence when your full backs charge down the pitch and get caught out. Having all ten outfield players holding position means there won't be any holes in the defence. This is so obvious yet I don't think many people practise it. I think it is the most important element to protecting a lead.

Finally, this is probably not a good idea for 45 minutes worth. Chances are a long shot or a set piece will find the back of the net in such a long period, no matter how much you defend. Think about it at the 70 minute mark. And then watch the remainder of the game pass by with absolutely no action whatsoever.

The moral of my story is, if you want to defend, don't do it half-heartedly. Set up to defend and then commit to it as a tactical choice.

Last edited by IJ; 04-07-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Rishy
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Rangers
Season: 2013/2014
Division: Scottish 2nd
Position: 1
Star Player: Will Hughes
Rishy is on a distinguished road

Do you think this method would still work for lower league teams? Or do you think there low abilities would give away possession to easily?
Rishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
pimsy
Rolling Contract
TD Member

pimsy is on a distinguished road

Still working in FM09?
pimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Rishy
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Rangers
Season: 2013/2014
Division: Scottish 2nd
Position: 1
Star Player: Will Hughes
Rishy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimsy View Post
Still working in FM09?
its been working for me,only conceded once and been using it for about a season now.
Rishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Ims1980
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Ims1980 is on a distinguished road

it worked for me scored in the 32nd minute, and 75th onwards i defended the lead succesfully
Dover Athletic - 2013 - Current

Spoiler:
Trophies:
Second Divison N
Ims1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Pete2
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Sydney FC
Season: 2010-2011
Division: A-League
Position: 2
Star Player: Mark Viduka
Pete2 is on a distinguished road

I pretty much do this as well. Although I also enable 'short passes' as lets me keep possession.
Pete2 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Guides Forum > General Guides